Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Pirate Looks At 30

So, it is now a couple of weeks since my 30th birthday and I must admit that this is not exactly where I thought I'd be:  unemployed and, until recently, living in my friends extra bedroom.  (Mike, I owe you big time!)  However, I can also say that being out of work for the past 2 1/2 months has been a blast!  Being able to spend my time with family and friends, and traveling between NYC, Las Vegas, San Fran and Denver has been the exact break that I needed after a less than stellar year.  OK, maybe these weren't best places for conserving my non-existent cash flow, but they were fun as hell.  So now I find myself less than 24 hours away from my first flight and, I'm quite certain, the most exciting (and somewhat ballsy) adventure of my life.  My bag is as packed as it is going to be, and considering I need to cram enough stuff for 5+ months in there, I think I've done a pretty good job.  After months of planning, it is hard to believe that in two days I will be relaxing on the South island of New Zealand, no doubt exhausted from a full day of flying and catching connections to the other side of the world, though very much ready to explore the first country on my itinerary.  Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that my flights are on time, I make my connections, my luggage joins me and I remember my Ambien!  And while I catch a flight to summer, I hear the words of a great poet, "There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong!"

4 comments:

Josh said...

i'm impressed that you figured out how to post and that you got one up before you left. i didn't think you had it in you.

--Beets

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Figgy!! I cannot wait to hear all about your adventures. I do hope that a stop in Michigan is on the agenda at some point in the future. Have a great time.

Cara said...

Oh you crazy ballsy kid you.

Hughes said...

old ass. have fun!