Monday, December 22, 2008

Destination Unknown

The past week has seen my chaotic schedule continue with very little break, but I really can't complain. After spending 2 nights in Wellington (NZ's capitol), I managed to be in full swing with a cold, to the point that I could not speak without having severe pain in my throat and my nose running like a faucet. However, there was a cruise on Lake Taupo that could not be missed and no minor illness was going to hold me back from proudly displaying my Toga!







The cruise was a blast and once it was done, we took our party (and wardrobe) to a local bar a created a scene of our own. I mean, I can say that I would act any differently if a group of 30 people came into The Shoe (or any other local pub) looking like we did. If nothing else, we provided them with some amusement!




The next day found me in Rotorua, where I was went Zorbing. For those who don't know what this is, basically it is a giant rubber ball, with a second smaller one suspended inside it. You get in the small one, add water, and get tossed down a hill. If you need a better explanation, google it! Great time and I can now say that I have a very good idea how my clothes feel in the wash. Once dry, I took the gondola up to a peak overlooking the town and lake, then hit the luge park for a bit, where I witnessed a few friends fail to understand the idea behind breaks and go flying off the track, luckily incurring only minor injuries!




Dinner was a trip. Went to a Hangi dinner, which is the traditional food for the Maori (NZ's native people). While dinner was good, they had us participate in the Haka, which is there dance. Now, anyone who has seen me dance before knows just how coordinated I am, and this display was not much better. However, I am sticking to the fact that 5 minutes of preparation would have been extremely helpful, especially seeing that I was performing (with others) in front of 100 or so people. I had the general moves down, and got into some of the chanting as well (Ka Mate, Ka Mate, Ka Ora, Ka Ora). You'll be pleased to know that there is video of this, and once I get it off of my friends camera, you'll all have a good laugh.




Before arriving in Waitomo, our stop for the night, I was able to make friends with some of the locals:



Next, I threw myself underground to do some black water rafting, which was really cool. Got dressed in full wet suit and took a small hike through caves in, sometimes, complete darkness, before doing some rafting in the same conditions. The highlight was definitely the glowworms. As I floated, I was able to look up and see florescent worms on the roof of the cave, which resemble the stars. It is really tough to paint a good image of this, but for anyone whose done it, I think they will agree that it is a very unique experience.



Next stop was Paihia, in the Bay of Islands. This was my home for 2 nights and was by far the warmest tempuratures I've felt since being in New Zealand. The area is great and was very relaxing, and seeing that all I've done since getting here was run around, it was a much need break. I opted to take a ferry across the bay to the small town of Russell, where I spent much of the day at a secluded cove with a friend. Other than a few people coming and going, it was empty.


The past couple of days have been spent in Auckland, which frankly is nothing special. If you've been to any other city in the world with over 1 million people, you've seen it. However, there was certianly a bright spot here, one that comes with pink and orange lettering! For those that know me well, you can imagine how happy I was:

I don't know how it is that they don't have one in Denver, but they do in Auckland. Tomorrow morning I head off for Oz, where I'll spend the next 2 months or so. Clearly I am looking forward to it!

1 comment:

Hughes said...

The Double D! nice find, figs.

by the way, Jules and I found out last week that we're going to have a boy...well, she's going to have a boy...you get the point.

keep the posts coming and quit harassing the sheep.