Sunday, December 7, 2008

And We're Off

Well, I am happy to say that I'm writing to you all from New Zealand and that all flights went smoothly. This was almost not the case for the guy who sat down next to me on the plan in LA as we were boarding, trying to tell me that I was in his seat. He thought the flight was going to DC, and was extremely concerned when he found that he boarded a flight for Sydney, Australia. I have no idea how he got on the flight, but we were all rather amused and he rushed to grab his carry on baggage and raced out of the plane to track down his correct gate. However, while the flights were fine, I will say that US-based airlines suck. In my 14+ hrs in the air with United Airlines, I was served 2 aweful meals and was advised that drinks are no longer complimentry. The "beef" that I was served (and trust me, the alternative could not have been any better) more closely resembled a slab of gefilte fish gone bad than anything that came from a cow. And, aparently my airfare across the Pacific was not enough to warrant a free Bud Light Upon changing planes in Sydney and hopping onto an Air New Zealand flight to Christchurch, I was shocked to see a plane's whose interior looked brand new. On top of that, there was screens in each seat back, free entertainment, the flight attendants were friendly, I was given a really good meal (on a 3 hr flight, mind you) and free drinks. My advice, fly foreign carriers. I'll be doing in again in 3 weeks.

Enough complaining for now, as things are going great so far. Been in Christhchurch for the past couple of days and have been able to see the city and was able to get out with a friend who lives here to see everything outside of the city. The area is really nice, and the water in the harbor looks more like the Caribbean than the Pacific that I expected. (If I had my UBS cable on me I'd add the photo) For those of you who are interested in following, I head out tomorrow to (all locations are on the South Island):

Monday (Sunday US): Lake Ohau
Tuesday (Monday US): Milford Sound
Wed-Friday (You get the picture): Queenstown

Cheers!

4 comments:

BouncinAround said...

You've learned. US airlines are horrible. There's a reason they're all going under.

Make sure you fly Virgin out there. You'll thank me. Good catching up in Vegas.

Shu

Anonymous said...

I am still jealous, but glad that you are having a good time. You need to get that USB cord so that we can see proof that you are there and not just pulling our leg. :)

Rebecca

Beth said...

I am glad to hear you are off to a good start! When you started telling your airline story, I started having flashbacks to a particular flight (that never happened) on Northwest headed to Grand Rapids! Looking forward to more updates!

Beth

Cara said...

That guy is like Kevin from Home Alone 2. How did he get on the wrong plane? Crazy.