Sunday, May 31, 2009

La Isla Bonita

Well, it is officially my 6 month anniversary of traveling! I cannot believe that it has been that long since I looked out my plane window to see the lights of The Strip as I began this little adventure of mine. That said, it has been an amazing half-year, filled with so many sights and places that I can hardly keep them all straight at this point. So, with my mind scattered from any number of things, I was able to thoroughly relax over the past 10 days in the islands.

As I mentioned in my last post, I was spending time in Koh Tao, a small island in the Gulf of Thailand. Located hours from the mainland by boat, and a nearly 2 hour ferry ride to the closest airport, it is secluded and great. I liked it the first time I was there in March, and my feelings were re-affirmed over the past week and a half. I spent my time doing, well, nothing. And because of that, I really don't have much to report. Sure, there are a few stories that I'm sure would make you laugh...such as getting stalked, and then kissed on the cheek, by a lady boy named Bam Bam at 3 am. Ok, so you got a little taste. That said, some people will be pleased and shocked to see my lack of words, but really, I think it is better to just post a few photos and a brief video showing a few scenes and events that I captured.

Sunset at Sairee Beach:

Sairee Beach at dusk:

Dinner tables, Koh Tao style:

Ryan (fellow American) and I (yes, that is what I look like now) enjoying buckets at Lotus:

This guy pulled up next to me one day on the beach. I think it says it all:

A clip from Lotus Bar at night. Fire shows happen nightly there, and this bar is the place to be, partially because its fun, partially because this little 'cove' with table is the only part of the beach that doesn't get the tide in it after midnight, and partially because it is right on the beach and open til 3 am. It is where I spent most nights, and where I watched all sunsets from, and got to know many of the locals and bartenders.



So, for lack of options and much to my dismay, I find myself back in Bangkok for one last hurrah. Arriving just about an hour ago from the calmness of the islands, I have already dealt with the traffic jam and everything else that cities offer at first glance. I am a bit curious as to how I find it this time around, having experienced far more of Asia, its cities and its people than my previous 2 stops here. My fingers are crossed.

Tomorrow afternoon I catch a flight to Hanoi and then, barring any delays, my flight to Seoul. My trip home will have officially begun. Hopefully the North Koreans can chill out for a bit so that my 4 days in the city aren't filled with tension and military personnel, and I would really like to tour the DMZ area. After that, it is on to Honolulu, where on the morning of June 8th I will officially arrive back in the United States! My phone will work, and I should be able to get a decent burger! I will land in San Francisco, tired, tan and full of hair, on June 16th. So there you have it, my travel plans for the rest of my trip.

While I will write again before I'm home, I am looking forward to seeing all of you, and catching up in person and on the phone, rather than through the Internet.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Michael Paul said...

Dude, do you have a mullet?

Hughes said...

nice trip, jonnycakes. thanks for sharing so much of it. jules and i can't wait to visit some of the places you've been.

also, it seems i can get more dunkin donuts in the jungle than here in denver, so i'm looking forward to that much at least!

Jon said...

No Mike, I do not have a mullet. You'll see it in 2 weeks.