Monday, February 9, 2009

Work, Work, Work

It has been just over a week since I last checked in and things have certainly cooled down a bit. Of course, Melbourne is currently on fire. For those of you who have asked me, I am fine and my travels have, fortunately, not been effected by them. (on a side note, it is really awful here, and apparently the worst natural disaster Australia has experienced). My time in that city was great. It reminded me a lot of Boston in its layout and atmosphere, and I would love to return on another visit. I was there for about 4 days, and spent another 4 days or so driving along the Great Ocean Road. I'll tell you, it was incredible. One of the most scenic drives I've ever been on. I was able to stop at plenty of places along the way, both for scenery and to check out some koalas that live along that stretch. I am convinced that these guys have the life, sleeping 20-22 hrs of the day, then eat eucalyptus the remaining time which basically gets them drunk. I think work is for suckers!

Besides koalas, I was able to stop at countless vistas along the way, though the highlight of our touristy stops had to be the 12 Apostles. I spent at least an hour there at sunset, and while it was truly stunning, I'll try to let the photos do the talking:



I know many of you will never make it down there to see the south coast of Australia, but if you have the opportunity, I highly recommend taking the drive. Besides the scenery, it was great to get behind the wheel again. After 2+ months of not driving, it is safe to say that I had a little fun with my rental car! It made it back in one piece, though there were countless turns that I wasn't sure it stayed on 2 wheels! I added to my amusement by driving on the right side of the road (and by 'right' I most certainly mean 'wrong'). Getting used to that really wasn't too difficult, though everytime I went to signal a turn, I wound up hitting the wipers. I felt like an idiot for 4 days, even if other drivers didn't notice.

For the past few days I have been back in Noosa and will remain here (or the area) for the next 2 weeks until heading to Thailand...that is assuming I get my visa sorted out. Dealing with SE Asian governments is a joy. I need to meet with the consulate in the next couple of days. Rumor has it I'm going hunting in the Outback next week for a few days, so I'm sure some good stories will come out of that one! If you're wondering what I'll be hunting, so am I, though my guess would be goats, dingos and/or Kangaroos! I'll get pictures.

Now, unrelated to my travels, I want to inform you all of an observation that I've made. No one in Australia actually works. I'm not talking about weekends, or late at night, or things of that nature. I'm talking general mid-week business hours. I feel lucky if I catch a store open before 10am, and if 4 o'clock hits, I have already assumed that I missed them for the day. I don't know how some places survive. I actually think that some stores are permenantly closed, though remain fully stocked to tease shoppers. Really. I know this sounds ridiculous, but this is exactly what I've encountered. It kind of reminds me of the following conversation from Dumb and Dumber:

Harry: "I can't believe it we drove around all day and there's not a single job in this town, there's nothin', natta, zip"
Lloyd: "Yeah, unless you wanna work 40 hours a week."

Cheers!

2 comments:

Hughes said...

wow...you need to leave a little enjoyment for the rest of us...looks like you're having way too much fun.

the more i hear from you, the more i'm expecting you to say that you're never coming back stateside.

good luck with the visa. can't wait to see what se asia has in store for you. drink some cobra whiskey...if you don't know what it is, you will when you see it.

matt

Anonymous said...

Glad you are okay!!! :)